This CLP notes:
- that Saudi Arabia is fighting a devastating war on Yemen, causing widespread casualties, starvation and suffering;
- that the UN has described the situation in Yemen as the greatest humanitarian crisis in the world, with 22 million people in need of humanitarian assistance;
- that Britain continues to sell arms, share intelligence and militarily assist Saudi Arabia;
- that both Emily Thornberry and Jeremy Corbyn have condemned the continued sale of arms by the UK to Saudi Arabia.
This CLP believes:
- that the Tory government’s support for the Saudi regime and its war on Yemen exposes the brutal nature of current British foreign policy;
- that Britain needs a new, peaceful foreign policy based on internationalist values and respect for human rights;
- that arms sales to and political support for the Saudi regime must stop.
This CLP resolves:
- to oppose the British government’s support for the Saudi-led war on Yemen;
- to demand the end of arms sales to Saudi Arabia.
Passed Unanimously at the CLP meeting on 12th January 2019