As CLP BAME Co-ordinator, you’re the key representative of BAME members within the CLP, and you will work to ensure that BAME members are fully involved in the work of the local party, and you’ll take a leading role in making sure that the campaigning work of the constituency reaches out and engages with Black, Asian and Ethnic Minority voters.
You should be friendly and approachable, organised, able to run events and above all be prepared to work hard to ensure that BAME members have a real voice within the local party.
Key Responsibilities and tasks
- Making sure that BAME members are included in all of the party’s activities and that meetings are relevant and accessible to BAME members
- Welcoming new BAME members to your CLP
- Reaching out to BAME communities through local campaigns, and working with BAME organisations in the constituency to engage ethnic minority voters, highlight issues, and get a better deal for BAME people
- Bringing BAME members together to empower each other and gain the knowledge and skills they need get involved
- Running events for BAME members, including training, policy development and social events
- Working to recruit more BAME members into the Labour party and helping to make sure that those members make the jump from member to activist
- Listening to BAME communities’ views and ensuring that they are reflected in Labour’s policy making
- Working closely with constituency and branch officers to ensure the concerns of the BAME community are reflected and included in policy debates
- Acting as a CLP link to BAME Labour, the party’s national affiliate representing BAME party members (their contact details can be found below)